The locomotive was originally built in Doncaster for the London and North Eastern Railway (LNER), emerging from the works on 24 February 1923 and initially numbered 1472. It was designed by Sir Nigel Gresley as part of the A1 class – the most powerful locomotives used by the railway.
By 1924, when it was selected to appear at the British Empire Exhibition in London, the loco had been renumbered 4472 – and been given the name 'Flying Scotsman' after the London to Edinburgh rail service which started daily at 10am.
Flying Scotsman is arguably the most famous locomotive in the world. In 2004, it was purchased for the nation, using money donated by the public. Since then, the National Railway Museum have been restoring Scotsman to full mainline running condition, so that it can once again pull trains around the UK.